Dopey T-1 and Day 1

Of course my original intention was to at least write something short after each race.... but honestly we stayed so busy that I just didn't feel like I had time. But here is my attempt of a recap.

Mom and I got up to drive down around 4:15/4:30 on Wednesday the 7th. It was a long but fun ride. We checked in to Disney's Pop Century around 1 or 2, quickly jumped on a bus to the expo, rushed to pick up all my stuff, and made it to a meet up. Then we rushed back to our hotel and got cleaned up for dinner at Ohanas with the girls (Carol, Millie, Rachel). We were sure we were going to be late, but we were actually the first ones there.


Oh my goodness, Ohanas was A-MAZING. Dinner is served family style and in the spirit of the Polynesian culture everyone was called cousin. Everything was delicious (except for the Florida water). I should have gotten that super expensive pineapple drink that Rachel got.

After dinner, we went back to the hotel to unpack our bags, get settled in and wait for Keri. I don't think I feel asleep till after 11, so that 4am wake up call came really fast.

I was trying my best to be quiet in the morning but my mom and Keri woke up and came along. Boy are they troupers. It was so COLD outside! It was 38 degrees (I consider that to be pretty damn cold) and there was a wind chill advisory. Oh that wind. It was so horrible!!!

I got really excited when I saw Epcot all lit up. It was so beautiful! I just couldn't believe that it was finally time!


Because I get warm up really fast while running, I gave my mom her jacket before going to my corral. Dumb idea. I tried surrounding myself with other people to be blocked by the wind but it didn't help much. Right before the our corral was released into start line area, this kind, kind woman girl friend told me that I should not have given up my extra layer. She then wrapped her arms around me and got other people to get in close to warm me up.

Then we started talking. Turns out she currently lives in FL but had previously lived in the Cobb area. We exchanged numbers and ran the 5k together.

After the run, mom, Keri and I (thanks to the advice of R. Wang) went to Captain Cooks for breakfast. Keri got the Tonga toast, I got the Mickey Waffles and we split them both between the two of us.



After breakfast, we drove a gazillion miles and paid $5. to drive to the dirtiest, sorriest wally world that I ever seen for some winter clothes.

After that, we headed to Magic Kingdom! I was so excited to be there. I could just feel the Disney magic in the air!

I think the highlight of the day was when my mom feared for her life. Well not the moment, the moments following it.

Keri and I took my mom on Thunder Mountain. I wasn't sure if she would like it but Keri assured her that she had previously ridden it with a 3 year old. And then this happened....

She screamed the whole time, I laughed uncontrollably the whole time and Keri...well she rode it like a normal person.



Comments

Popular Posts