Millinocket Maine


First a little history….

Nicknamed “The Magic City”, Millinocket Maine is situated at the base of the North Maine Woods with views of Mt. Katahdin. It was once the home of the largest paper mill in the world, The Great Northern Paper.  Throughout the 20th century, GNP was booming, in fact during the Great Depression they were able to continuously employ all of its employers.  In the early 2000’s however, the paper mill announced that it had filed bankruptcy. The town of Millinocket has struggled ever since.

In 2015 this guy created a free race to try and help the struggling town. His one request was that runners give back to Millinocket. He asked that runners stay in town, eat at local restaurants and contribute to the community in some way.

In 2015, 6 runners ran the full marathon and 44 ran the half. This year, there were approximately 550 finishers between the two distances. Currently about 1,500 are registered for 2017, including myself.

So a little about me…

I think regardless of where you were raised. You are a cold weather snow person or you aren’t. I understand growing and surviving miserably cold, wet weather can influence a person. But ultimately I obsess over snow. Mid December threw March, I check the 10 day weather forecast at least twice a day. If a little snow flake appears on my weather app, I reload it every couple hours. All this for, a little dusting. That is all I ever get, a dusting. But that little dusting it fills me with such delight!

(Captioned "Itsss ssssnnnoowwwinngg!!!)
(We had less than 1/2")
So…initially I pictured my Maine run being during Lobster season, which I believe is in the summer time but this seems more perfect. I can contribute to a struggling community and (fingers crossed) get snow as an early birthday present!
 

And if you are interested….

http://www.crowathletics.com/millinocket-marathon-half/



Comments

Popular Posts