Hatfield McCoy Double Half

My double half is under 100 days away and I am so excited! From everything I have read, this race is beautiful, fun and challenging! It is rated 14th according to the Weather Channel's 15 Most Challenging Races, Rated 3rd on the 10 Best Road Races in Kentucky, and Rated 6th according to Runners World Bucket List: 10 Fun Marathons. Every article or blog I read makes me more and more excited.

It is set in the hills mountains of Kentucky and West Virginia. Actually, let me just get this out of the way. Here is a look at the elevation change. It's got a big ole mountain in it. I have looked at several different map my run, and elevation uploads of this race and they all look the same- BIG. I am proud of my hilly Atlanta running experience but seriously, they don't compare!



But just imagine the feeling of accomplishment after making it to the top of that thing! And the views look amazing! 

The course looks like it also snakes around the mountains so there are views of the surrounding mountains and valleys with steam rising into the air. 

Another thing that really excites me is the sense of community of this race. The high school opens their doors for a pasta dinner and the fire stations invites runners to stay the night. I did book a hotel several months ago but even way back then, I couldn't get closer than 30 miles. At this point I would much rather stay at the fire house. I was a little nervous about the idea at first but I've talked to a few people who did it last year and they really enjoyed it. 

The community also comes out to cheer on the runners. They really go with the feuding Hatfield McCoy theme and keep everyone entertained. 

I've really been struggling to train with my work & practicum schedule but things are starting to get better so let the count down begin!

Comments

Popular Posts