Give it your all

Have you ever found your self thinking "I am not doing as good as I wanted, so I am not going to try as hard" or am I the only one? It's almost like, I don't want to be disappointed so I just make the decision to take it easy.
Two weekends ago, I PR'd at the Hearts and Soles 5k. Not only that but I ran the whole thing with out walking. I feel silly making a big deal out of that, but it has been so long since I ran a 5k without walking! The crazy thing is, I really haven't been running. All I can think is that my swimming has really helped with my cardio/breathing. 

Fast forward to this past weekend, at the Kupcake and Kandy 5k. My first mile was behind pace for the previous week. I started to feel disappointed. I thought about walking. I honestly didn't need to walk, I just figured if I didn't do as good as the previous week, it was pointless to try. But then I had a downhill and I realized that I really didn't need to walk...then there was an uphill with a water station so I took a quick pause and got back to running. 

Every time I thought about walking I saw a friend on the other side of the loop and I felt a little inspired so I kept on running. 

Just before the 3 mile mark I looked down at my watch and realized, I might be able to PR again so I ran a little harder...and I did it, I took another 5 seconds off!

I guess the moral of the story is to not give up and to always give it your all! 

Comments

Popular Posts