I should have known

"The hardest part is walking out the front door" I can't say that I agree. Sometimes, running is hard. Today's run was hard. I felt very discouraged.

I should have known it would be bad when I saw the fog. It felt just like the morning of the Rock n Roll NOLA half. 100% humidity.

Although I left the house at a reasonable time; I had to stop to get gas. Plus there was a section of the Hwy. under construction and the speed limit was 35. So I was 10 minutes late.

I arrived to a parking lot full of cars but not a single sole in site. I looked down, my cell phone was running low. I started to get nervous. This was my first time doing a trail run, no one knew I was there, my phone was about to die... what is a girl to do.

Just as I was signing my name onto a sign in sheet, I started to hear voices. So I took off. It was kind of hard to identify where the voices were coming from. The trees were thick and the sounds bounced all around me.

I walked a small distance and found a little short cut and started to jog. Then I realized the sounds were behind me. So I just stopped right there in the middle of the trail and waited.

It gave my watch a chance to find our location. It took awhile...

Just as my watch found a signal I spotted them. The first group of people were coming toward me really fast! I was happy to hear there were others further back. The next group looked fast too. At the front of the pack was Kermitt from Big Peach. I asked someone what pace they were doing, and was told 12min mile so I decided to jump in.

Well let me just tell you; that was the hardest 12 min mile pace ever. My legs felt like they were made out of lead and the air was so thick. It was a horrible run. After about 10 minutes I had to walk. I gave myself 1 minute. Once I started running again, I only made it about  5 minutes.

I started feeling really discouraged. I thought; "I am never doing a trail run again".

But then it was over. I made it back to the parking lot, and was severed a nonalcoholic mimosa and was informed that everyone usually went to a place called Dutch Monkey for doughnuts after the run...I started to feel better.

Turns out everyone was having a hard time. It was the damn humidity. It got us all.

Although I was discouraged, I will do it again. In fact, I am excited for next time....I mean, come on, look at those doughnuts.

Comments

Popular Posts