HotLanta Half

As you may recall, I had ruled out the Hotlanta half because it was not a "certified" race. But I fell in love with the metal at the PTRR expo. So I decided it would be a good training run for the Diva half.

Guess what... the morning of the HotLanta half was hot and humid. Shocking, right? I mean it was in August for goodness sake. Another added bonus was that  I had a sore throat, cough and sinus congestion.

Both Kim, and Carol were doing it so we all started together. Kim and I decided on 20:20 intervals and (I believe) Carol was doing 10:50. 

Can I just tell you how amazing it is running a race with a partner in crime. Not only running with someone but running with someone at a similar pace. The time flew by. It really did. Kim is such an amazing person, cheerleader and mother.

The route was hilly (of course) but it was really nice. I felt like the race directors did a really good job. The water stations were timed perfectly and well stocked.

I honestly felt pretty great until about mile 10. Mile 10 went well but I started dragging after that. At around 10.5 until 12.0 we experienced a steady up hill climb. I had to say "no" to running several times and even walking was a mental battle for awhile there. I was having some pain's that I knew were temporary but were a little hard to ignore.

But then we came around a corner and I saw the pink balloon's of the Komen water stop. I thought about two of my angels that had continued to run during cancer and chemo and how strong they were and then the route started to get easier.

Before I knew it we could see that beautiful finish line balloon! Our finishing time was 3:03. Although it wasn't fast it was 12 minutes faster than my first half marathon back in February.

After cooling off a little while I was able to catch Carol coming across the finish line. She looked strong but had grown her self some nasty blisters from watering her body along the hot route.

By the time I made it home all my pain was gone. I even worked a 12 hour overnight shift that night.

Comments

Popular Posts