I was almost one of those

I was almost one of those runners who vomits on the finish line. Seriously, I crossed that finish line and the feeling was overwhelming. Then I walked into the medical tent I started hyperventilating. It was so embarrassing. I was given a bag of ice and told to sit down and to try to take slow breaths, I felt better within seconds. Although I felt better right away, I continued to sit there another 5 minutes.

I guess I should back up a little now.

Yesterday was my 3rd marathon (2nd in 12 days qualifying me as a HalfFanatic), the Diva half in Peachtree City. I had high hopes for it. Even though my time for HotLanta half was a touch over 3 hours, I wanted to do it in about 2:45. I had read that it was a flat fast race so I thought that was reasonable. But it was hotter and more humid then the HotLanta half. It was about 86degrees when I finished. I heard that it was 100% humidity but I feel like that might have been an exaggeration (not much of one though).

Honestly, I wouldn't actually call it "flat" either. The hills weren't steep but I would say they were plentiful.

I was doing 1:1 intervals and I feel like I started out pretty good. I was maintaining around a 11:10mm pace. But as time went buy and we got deeper into the humid forest, I slowed down significantly.

I had some discomfort but I wasn't in horrible pain. I was just HOT and I couldn't get my body to move any faster. I also chose to ignore my run timer several times.

I think it was around the 9 or 10 mile mark that I really, really slowed. I had just looked at my time and realized that I couldn't reach my 2:45 goal but was pretty sure I could finish in under 3...but IDK what happened. I just lost my motivation.

At around 11.5 I realized that I wasn't even going to make it under 3. So I temporally gave up. When my timer beeped I shrugged my shoulders and said "maybe next time".

Then when I received my tiara and feather boa I gained a little motivation and started running again.

The race ended at the top of a hill. Not just a hill but a hill with a right turn and more hill.

I would say that last hill is what lead to the embarrassing stop in the medical tent.

After I excused myself from the tent, I got my metal from a sexy "fireman", got my glass of bubbly from someone who didn't ID me :(  and relaxed.

My finishing time: 3:03, exactly the same as the HotLanta half. I may be slow, but at least I am consist.

I can't wait to run a race that is cooler than 86 degrees!

Comments

Popular Posts