Training- Week 1 day 1

Today was cold and rainy neither Lizzy or I really wanted to leave our houses but we did and I am grateful. Today was the first day of training.

Oh, wait. I guess I haven't said anything about my training plans. With my Hatfield McCoy double half goals in mind I created a training plan. For the first 8 weeks I am working on speed and endurance. Then after that I will be following an 18 week marathon training schedule.

So today (based one a Hal Higdon plan) was speed work.....



We did 4 X 400 sprints and we walked a little over 400 meters between each 400 meter sprint. My goal was to run the "sprints" at around a 9:30 pace, but I struggled to maintain a specific pace. At one point I looked down and I was doing 7:50. I didn't really have any idea of my overall pace for those sprints because my laps were set for 1 mile and I turned off the lap button. 


I never even realized what the lap button was until recently. Basically you can have a preset "lap" so your watch alerts you of your pace for that lap. I like knowing my pace for each mile. But I noticed sometimes when I would get all handsie on the touch screen I would sometimes get alerted for a weird short distance.


Turns out you can get pace information for a specific distance by touching the "go back" (the U turn arrow) logo. Anyway, I always found that to be annoying when I hit it by mistake but now I realize it is perfect for this scenario.


After we did our 4 sprints we walked 1 more lap for a total distance of 3.39 in a time of 55:29.

Comments

Popular Posts