Made a friend and knocked out another state

Runners really are the best! About 2 months ago, I started considering running the Spinx Half Marathon in Greenville SC. I asked for some opinions in one of my running groups and a someone named Danica said that I should run it and that we should drive up there together. So just like, my decision was made.

Danica and I had never met but we had some mutual friends IRL so, I knew she was a real person. We met at 5am to hit the road and made it to Greenville with plenty of time to get coffee and donuts before the race. Along the drive we discovered we had quit a bit in common. We graduated the same year and grew up in neighboring school districts.

Danica didn't really have a goal time because she had PR'd at the Atlanta 10 miler but I was hoping to do it in about 2 1/2 hours.

I felt good about our time in the beginning. I had loaded a pace keeper app on my watch and it put us further ahead of the goal every mile that we ran. But as time went on, I realized that the mileage on the app was way ahead of what we had actually ran which made the calculation way off.

So...due to that, some abdominal cramping/gas pains, hip discomfort and IT band issues, I really started to struggle. Not only was I uncomfortable, but I really couldn't get out of my head. I had so much self doubt. Danica was such trouper and I really appreciate her staying by my side even though I had to walk the last 3 miles. So that is that...

In terms of the course, it was hilly and beautiful. It reminded us a lot of the Grant Park area. We ran mostly through older neighborhoods with big beautiful old trees and cute families standing on their lawns. Most houses were decorated for Halloween and we discussed how beautiful it must be at Christmas.

After running through charming neighborhoods we transitioned into a park connected to a zoo (again, so similar to Grant Park), and then into the cute downtown area. After that we actually ran into Flur Field and crossed the finish line at home plate. So, the course was beautiful and my company was great too. I don't think we ever stopped talking!

After eating some food at the finish line, we set out for brunch. I really wanted a Bloody Mary and a quick Google search sent us to Tupelo Honey. Every single thing on the menu sounded amazing! I got a $15 Bloody Mary and a delicious lump crab meat, eggs benedict thing that camp with wonderful crispy home fries. I don't remember what Danica had but it looked delicious as well!
So all in all, it was a great mini adventure. I made a new friend and knocked out state number 9. If you are in the Atlanta area and need a SC race, I definitely recommend the Spinx Run Fest! It was an easy drive and beautiful course. To make it even better, I recommend taking a friend or a friend of a friend that you have never met.

Comments

Popular Posts