Red Nose Half Marathon

 Okay, I am starting to think there something to this whole "training" thing that people talk about... back to that in a little bit.

This past weekend was the Red Nose Half, a free race in Columbus GA. I've heard about it for several years but this is the first time that I was able to go.  Although we could have easily driven to Columbus the morning of the race, a group of us drove down the night before to help support the town of a few race.

Due to LARGE amounts of recent rain, the Chattahoochee river has been flooded. The course typically takes place along the Chattahoochee River Walk but the race director was able to create a new route, get it approved by the city and get enough volunteers to keep us safe at intersections. Although the race would probably have been more beautiful along the river, I was very happy that the race wasn't cancelled and although it rained most of the week, the clouds parted and gave us perfect weather on race morning.

I really didn't go into the race with any expectations except to have fun. However, Nicole T. planned on me getting my PR that I didn't get at Galloway 😉 Nicole and I started out together and Lavern joined us around mile 2 or 3. Generally speaking, we were staying on pace for at least the first 6 miles. Around mile 6, Nicole had a new goal and decided to run ahead.

Lavern and I decided to stay at a more comfortable pace and just enjoy the beautiful weather. By mile 8, I was starting to have that weird achilles tendon/calf cramp thing but we were still staying close to the same pace. It doesn't actually "hurt" but it is really bothersome. The best way I can describe it is as if my ankle and calf are giving out under me. When I lift my
left foot, it feels like my leg doesn't work right. It wasn't until mile 11 that it really started to affect me. Lavern literally had to point out landmarks for me to start running or take a walk break. I listened for awhile but eventually I started shaving off a few steps here or there, Lavern would call me out on it and I would give her excuses. It was all in good fun. I can't think of a more pleasant Drill Sargent than Lavern! Mile 12 was on cobble stone which was causing me problems since I couldn't fully lift my left leg. It wasn't until then that I realized I actually could get a PR if I would just keep freaking running....but I just kept walking more and more.

We saw Nicole when we had about 100 yards left. I told her I couldn't run, I had to walk. Neither her nor Lavern accepted it. So Lavern cheered me on as Nicole literally pushed me across the finish line. And I mean literally! Her hand was on my back as she ran behind me. I actually really appreciated it! If it wasn't for her, I honestly may have walked across the finish line. As soon as we made it across the finish line, I rushed off to the side and started retching. After a few minutes I felt better, got my medal and met up with my friends.

I did not get a PR, but I wasn't too far off and I beat my Galloway time by 20 minutes. So all things considered, I  am pleased.

So now,  what the heck is going on with
my left leg? I have a couple of ideas. First off, it could be a fueling issue. Considering I dry heaved, that is certainly a possibility. I have also considered that it is a shoe issue. I am running in shoes that I bought because they are "cute". They are good shoes but they are light and neutral. I do pronate so I shouldn't really be in a neutral shoe but I have orthotics in it so I think it should be okay, plus I don't remember  having that problem in the right leg. Could I have injured it and I don't really remember? You know like hyper extended my ankle on a curb? The last idea, could really encompass it all...lack of training.

When I looked at my "run" miles for 2018, I discovered that I only "ran" around 200 miles. I ran 4 half marathons, 2 10ks, a 4 miler, around 4 or 5 5ks so basically almost half of my miles were races! That is horrible! To put it into perspective, I swam 80 miles in 2018 and that was to train for one 3 mile event!

When all is said and done, I think I can not train and run about 6 miles comfortable but anything beyond is just too much. If you combine that with some bad diet choices it could explain cramps and retching. Although I don't recall "hurting" my ankle I think it is very possible that I over extended it at some point and it really starts to show after so many miles.

So...I guess I am going to try that "training" thing this year. Wish me luck cause it sounds horrible.

Comments

Popular Posts